Thursday, March 8, 2012

Scouting in the Family

Many will know by now that my husband and I have been in the process of moving for the past few weeks. A very chaotic endeavor, we are discovering, with boxing and deep cleaning, followed by more cleaning and then unboxing. A new house has meant more room for the family, which is nice, but it also means trying to decide just where everything will go -- decor, craft supplies, food storage. Well, you get the idea.

A new house has also meant leaving behind a few things, like my kids' playhouse, our favorite burger joint, and of course, some of our dear friends are now a half-hour further away. It's also meant leaving behind some of the ways we've been involved in scouting. I've been involved with cubmaster activities of one kind and another for nearly four years now, and my husband was just getting comfortable in his position as 11-year-old scout leader for our last unit. The good news is that scouting is still here, in a new unit and a new district, and I'm sure we'll find our niche here, just as we did at our old place.

Almost unexpectedly, we've become a scouting family of sorts. We like seeing our oldest son involved in scouts, and already our youngest son is chomping at the bit for his turn to join a den in just a few months' time. We love learning through the scout program, and developing the values scouting instills in us.

For this reason, I decided it was time to go dig up the BSA Family Activity Book. Never heard of it? Don't worry, I didn't know much about it either. A quick internet search revealed a pdf file of the 43-page book which paves the way to earning a family patch. More importantly, it paves the way to strengthening family relationships by working towards goals together as a family. I was so excited to find the pdf file that I immediately added it to my blog, in the books category.

If you really want to see your son grow in scouting, take the opportunity to open this book and grow with him. Then, no matter where the family moves, whether in terms of changing houses, or weathering challenges that cause us to redirect our course, the strength of the family will move with you.