Monday, February 18, 2013

You Have to Get Up Pretty Early to be Ahead of a Scout . . .

I sometimes feel like I have to get up pretty early to be ahead of the BSA as well, come to think of it. Over the past few months, I've discovered many of the links I thought were helpful suddenly lead to not much of anywhere. As the BSA continues to improve their website and all related forms and information, I'll try to keep up. But sometimes, I will sheepishly admit, they tend to catch me off guard. (Although hopefully not for long!) My most recent link revision is the BSA Health Form.

For those new to cubbing, you may mistakenly think this is more for boy scouts or varsity scouts, headed out to a jamboree or a week at scout camp. True, they do need one of these. But it just so happens cub scout leaders need these health forms for your bright, energetic little cub scouts, too. That said, please note that for those engaged in daytime activities (as opposed to that fabulous week long scout camp experience), your cubs will most likely only require parts A and B of the health form. Part C is for scouts and leaders headed off on overnight trips and more rigorous activities. Check the health form and the BSA website for more information if you're uncertain whether Part C may be necessary.

Every leader should have in possession a health form for each of their scouts, updated annually, and easily accessible no matter where their den may be meeting from week to week. I learned this from a friend of mine, a Webelos leader, who took her boys sledding at a local sledding hill for one of their den meetings. One broken arm later, she was grateful she already had the completed forms at the ready so that contacting parents, emergency contacts, and emergency facilities all went smoothly.