Wednesday, March 13, 2013

A Moment of Gratitude

Roundtable was a whirlwind tonight. As scrambled as my brains were in trying to explain the difference between cheers and run-ons and where to find them, and then how to assemble water bottle balloon racers with the scant ten minutes we had left -- well, I'm not sure how anyone followed my train of thought tonight. But bless their hearts, I have the cream of the crop: the most wise, most composed, and still at times the most down right funny bunch of individuals in the universe.

Tonight I offered the "Commissioner's Minute" at the end of our main roundtable meeting and was asked by a few people to please post it on my blog. My "Minute" had been on gratitude and, as I reflected on my adventures with them tonight, I couldn't help but contemplate that one of the things I'm truly grateful for are my cubmasters -- ever patient as they are, even when I mix-up terminology and race them at a breakneck pace through project instructions. May you also find a moment to reflect on your own blessings today, and may you remember those people who touch your life the most, just as my cubmasters touch mine. And now, as promised, my "Commissioner's Minute" on gratitude:



During a board of review, a Scout was once asked, “If you could add one more attribute to the existing 12 points of the Scout Law, what would it be?” Without hesitation, the Scout responded, “Gratitude.” He then expressed his gratitude for all those who had made such a difference in his life.

Sometimes, perhaps, we let it slip our minds, just what we should be grateful for. If so, here are just a few ideas:

If you woke up this morning with more health than illness you are more blessed than the million who will not survive this week.

If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture or the pangs of starvation you are ahead of 500 million people in the world.

If you can attend a church without fear of harassment, arrest, torture, or death you are more blessed than 3 billion people in the world.

If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof overhead, and a place to sleep, you are richer than 75% of this world.

If you have money in the bank and in your wallet, and spare change in a dish somewhere, you are among the top 8% of the world's wealthy.

And if you can hold someone's hand, hug them, or even touch them on the shoulder, you are blessed, because you can offer a healing touch.

May we be grateful for what we have and for those who make such a difference in our lives.

(Adapted from the Roundtable guide, March 2013, and http://www.innertalk.com/inspirational.html)