Tuesday, October 14, 2014

A Frying-Pan-and-Fire Moment

It's one of those days when I feel like I've leaped out of the frying pan and into the fire. It was only a few short months ago that our amazing cub scout roundtable commissioner announced she was stepping down. Well, stepping over, more like, as she agreed to shed her commissioner duties and take on the challenge of overseeing all district training. Probably her frying-pan-and-fire moment, come to think of it.

And then there was the other news that went with it: I was invited to take her place as the cub scout roundtable commissioner. That was certainly my frying-pan-and-fire moment. But more than that, it meant a definite time of change. Those who know me well know I'm a cubmaster through and through. I love that once-a-month party and all the fun and adventure that go with it. But it was time to hand off the cubmaster class -- on both the district and council level -- to someone else. Yeah, a little bit sad. But so cool to have someone come in with a fresh perspective and their own clever ideas. I'm definitely all for that.

Since that crucial turning point in the spring, the question has come up, "Will Cubmaster Pack Picks continue?" After four years of digging up advancement ceremonies, skits, and cubmaster minutes, I will admit, it's time to take a break -- at least for a little while, while I work on filling those really big shoes left behind by my fellow frying pan leaper.

But while I take on more of a commissioner's role, and do less with Cubmaster Pack Picks, I also fully intend to maintain my cubmaster blog. Well, I'm not big on the chatty part. But I'm definitely big on the resources part. And I'll continue to add those, especially as we take the initial steps into embracing the new cub scouting program, the transition occurring next summer in 2015. So the blog is here to stay, with more to come. And maybe even a few Pack Picks surprises. Because it's true what they say about cubmasters -- we just can't seem to stay away from a good pack party. :o)